Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Ushers In Age Of Change

For the past 24 hours I have been receiving text messages telling me how liberated myself and and black people are because of Obama. One text read " Rosa sat so Martin could walk. Martin walked so Obama could run. Obama is running so our children can fly."

Here's my take.

First off, congratulations America. Hats off to the American citizens for rising in numbers to show that democracy works and that change can be fostered when a country bands together.

I don't think that one could argue that it is about time that a black president was elected, simply because there has never been in my opinion a suitable black candidate in the US. Jesse Jackson? Al Sharpton? I'm with Lil Wayne on the latter.

Furthermore,

I believe that what Obama has accomplished is not on the same level as Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King. I do believe Obama is a product of the fight and struggle that took place before him. I believe Obama's timing is perfect, and I believe Obama is an example of what a visible minority can accomplish when he/she does not use the color of their skin as an excuse.

Without question, Obama's election to the White House is a monumental achievement for him and all people of color, Black Americans in particular. But to me, Obama wasn't running so our children could fly.

I was raised by an African man who made me believe that I was born with wings. So, I think I can fly. My children will too, as long as they realize that ....

"flying is a matter of first believing the sky is the limit and then beating your wings hard enough to overcome the forces that keep you grounded."

Obama to me, is living proof of this and should serve as an inspiration to everyone, white, black, yellow, brown, blue, magenta, that "Yes You Can".


Back to Sports.

Change is good, ask Allen Iverson.

NBA:
Great to see Will Bynum balling in the league, loved his game in college.

Nobody fears the Spurs anymore. They've become like old grandparents holding that wooden spoon, only to have the kid grab the spoon from their hands and say
"C'mon grandpa, I'm grown."

Somethings never change---Yao is still as soft as Charmin, killed me yesterday in my pool.

In the NFL---Glad to see Leftwich get another shot at QB.

Talking about change---Raiders AL Davis needs to go. NOW. A colleague of mine asked me " Do you think he's allergic to sunlight and sleeps in a coffin?" Answer: Absolutely.

Nice to see the Dolphins competing and Joey Porter back to doing what he does best, running his mouf and sacking the quaterback.

Let's stop doubting the Giants.

Let's start doubting the Cowboys and the Colts.

College Football-- We need change here. Go to a playoff system already! The BCS system is junk. There's too much parity among college football teams, one or two losses doesn't mean anything when anyone can lose on any given day to anyone, right Texas?

MLB-- After the suspect ending to the World Series, perhaps they should shorten the season just a little bit, so you don't end up playing baseball outdoors in November.

NHL- Let's stop calling pussy touch penalties and let these boys play. They've taken enough clutching and grabbing out of the game but now the type of nonsense that's being called is downright soft. I'm sick of seeing 20 powerplays per game. Put the whistle away, this isn't basketball.

Also, what kind of sport awards points to the loser of a game? C'mon NHL. You can't get a point for just making it to overtime. It's either 2 points or nothing. Let's keep it real. Imagine, points for losing...We're sending the wrong message to the youth.

Canada Basketball---Let's say goodbye to Leo Rautins and get a coach that won't piss off the best player on the team and a guy who will put a team together that can qualify for the Olympics. We're better than that Canada.

Yes we can.

Change is here.

1 comment:

pat said...

Great blog on Obama, John.

Casey turned me onto your blog. Glad he did. Good work.
Pat Archibald