Monday, November 3, 2008

Iverson Headed Back East

According to Nba.com, the Denver Nuggets have agreed to terms on a deal that will send Allen Iverson to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess...
What?

This is one of the more difficult posts for me to write. Keeping in mind that I am a Nuggets fan and Allen Iverson is my favorite player in the league (tied with D-Wade) I am torn with this decision.

At First Glance

At first glance, Detroit has shit the bed with this deal. As much as I love AI, stripping the nucleus of a borderline championship caliber team to acquire one shoot first Pg is probably not The Answer.

For Denver, this deal makes sense, it improves our, excuse me, their team, and adds some defensive depth and scoring inside. This move will allow Carmello Anthony to shine. He'll be getting fed from an experienced playmaker and leader, in Billups who helped turn Richard Hamilton into a superstar. No question, this move makes the Nuggets a better and more competitive team in the West. It tears me apart that they had to give up A.I to do it.


At Second Glance
But then again, and this is the part of me that unconditionally loves A.I; It could work for the Pistons. If you put AI on a team with Rip, Sheed and J-Max, in the East, you kind of have a squad.

I might be blinded by how filthy nice I believe Iverson is, I might be even swayed by the fact that he's the best pound for pound scorer of all time, I might even be biased by the undeniable reality that this man has more heart and more fight in him than a Brahaman Bull and has one more championship run left in him... I might be slightly disillusioned, I'll admit that.

But everyone else must admit that in the East--anything is possible .

Bottom line,
Denver just got a whole lot better and Detroit...Well it remains to be seen if The Answer will solve their questions. I'm too biased to call it.

No comments: